The following is a copy of the message sent via our automatic phone system to our parents at 9:45 AM.
November 24, 2008
This is Mike Gilbert, superintendent at White Oak Schools. This message is being sent to inform you of a situation that occurred at the High School this morning, Monday, November 24.
At approximately 6:45 AM, White Oak Police informed the district that a 911 call had been received by an anonymous caller stating that someone was bringing a bomb to school. No other information was given to police. At this time the process of starting the school day was well underway.
After consulting with police, the decision was made to continue the school day with very strict procedures in place to insure the safety of students, faculty, and staff. I am pleased to tell you that by 8:45 AM the caller had been identified and the matter will be turned over to the White Oak Police Department for investigation. Let me assure you that White Oak ISD intends to prosecute this matter to the fullest extent of the law when the responsible parties have been charged.
Many of you may have seen the police in front of the High School today. The procedures that were put in place this morning were:
- All access to the high school was restricted to the East and West doors.
- All items carried into the school were searched by White Oak Police officers.
- Campus Principals at the Primary, Intermediate, and Middle School were informed of the situation and secured their campuses. Backpacks and materials were checked by faculty and staff.
- High School classes began on time and students experienced no delays getting to class.
- White Oak Police continued to search the belongings of those entering the school until well after the start of school and police were on campus until the caller was identified.
It is my firm belief that your students are safe and that all necessary precautions were taken to insure that they remain safe. If you have any additional questions, please call 903-291-2001 and speak with High School Principal Dan Noll.
Michael E. Gilbert
Superintendent of Schools
White Oak ISD